Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Gauging Examination Grading

Every week so far has brought a new experience, whether it be cultural or educational.  The new experience last week involved grading mock examinations for the students in Forms 2 and 4.  First, to give a bit of background, at the end of Forms 2, 4 and 6 students take a national examination on each subject that they are studying.  These exams weigh very heavily on their final grades (about 50%), and usually determine the course of their educational future.

While at most schools the students only take the final national exam (given in the Fall for Forms 2 and 4, and in the spring for Form 6), at Mzumbe (and some other schools) students are given a “gauging” exam- sort of like a mock exam so that the teachers and the students can gauge their progress and what subjects they need to brush up on for the final exam.  Starting last week, the entire faculty gathered together in the library to mark the gauging exams for the students at Mzumbe, as well as other schools in the Morogoro region.  In groups, each department (English, Kiswahili, Geography, Math, Science, etc) graded the tests for their respective subjects.
The Mzumbe Faculty Grading Exams in the School Library

Each day of week was long (about 10 hrs of grading exams each day), but I thoroughly enjoyed the experience.  I was more than happy to be included in the process and contribute in any way possible.  Also, it was a fascinating glimpse into what the national exams for English Language are like, and how the faculty judges a student’s ability in English.  I understand that English is a second (or third) language for some of the students, so I was willing to be a bit more flexible on certain mistakes.  However, the rest of the department was not as lenient, demanding perfection from each student on their respective exam.  Mzumbe, being one of the top schools in the nation, demands nothing less than the best from its students.

The English Department Hard at Work
The week was also a great opportunity to further bond with the faculty.  There were many laughs, stories exchanged, and debate about teaching the subject of English.  One other interesting thing that I’m starting to notice is that as I listen to more conversations in Kiswahili and increase my own vocabulary, I’m finding that I’m beginning to understand certain sentences, or even the topic of some conversations.  I’m still a long way away from full comprehension of the language, but it’s encouraging to know that some of it is starting to stick!  By the end of the week, I felt that I learned a lot about my fellow teachers and also more about the educational system of Tanzania.  To most of my other colleagues it probably wasn’t a task they enjoyed, but I appreciated the experience as one of many past and yet to come.


1 comment:

  1. Glad to hear your having so much fun grading papers! Also, I thought I'd point out the irony of you teaching english and using "weather" instead of "whether." ;)

    ReplyDelete